Thursday, May 21, 2015

Dogs Bite

The third week of May has been designated National Dog Bite Prevention Week. The American Veterinary Medical Association, the Humane Society of the United States and even the US Postal Service have all jumped on the bandwagon. I'm sure you've seen dog bite prevention stuff all over Facebook and Google+ this past week. I've seen some great blog posts lately too, so be sure to check them out.

This one always makes me giggle.
Ironically, my week started with a dangerous dog hearing. I'm not going to share the details -- just know that it was ugly and exhausting. No matter how the Magistrate rules (we don't get an immediate decision) nobody's going to be happy. All the court room bullying was just to see who could hurt who more. It was a disgusting display. If I believed in voodoo I would be jamming pins into two lawyer-shaped dolls about now. . . Did I mention the hearing was ugly?

My week ended with two Dog Bite Prevention presentations to 50 elementary school kids. FYI, Be A Tree from Doggone Safe is a nice, age appropriate program to use. I spoke to the afterschool groups at two local community centers. Regardless of the center, the kids were loud and unfocused (and I suspect, sugar-laden). I came home with a major headache. It reinforced the fact that I would rather deal with other people's dogs then with other people's children. True story: One year I was an educational assistant at a middle school in a poor Washington D.C. suburb. I worked with children who had learning and behavioral issues. It was the worst year of my life! Children are not my calling -- I would much rather work with angry pit bulls.

It was a long, draining week for me, hence no blogging. Sorry. I'll try to make it up to you next week. Until then, get outside with your dog and stay safe! -- K

P.S. Below is the official Dog Bite infographic for this year. Don't be a statistic!


No comments:

Post a Comment