Thursday, September 10, 2015

A Different Type of Show

All the dog shows I've shared so far are American Kennel Club (AKC) shows. Next month Jedi and I are entering a different type of conformation dog show put on by the International All Breed Canine Association (IABCA). These are more like the European style of dog shows. There are two shows per day (a total of four in a weekend) each under a different judge. Judges give every dog a written critique encompassing 12 different parts of a dog's body and movement.

The entry fees for these shows are a bit higher then I'm used to paying, and since there are four shows in two days its going to be a pretty pricey weekend. However, I'm hoping to get some answers here. Maybe these critiques will let me know where Jedi and I are lacking. Is he not getting points because he's got a bad handler (AKA me) or is there something wrong with his conformation? Depending on the answers we get, we may give up on the show ring and move on to something else like obedience or nose work.

Meanwhile, I just got the judging panels for the shows next weekend. NEXT WEEKEND! As usual, I'm not ready. I need to make hotel reservations, check on my show clothes, double check my tack box, buy bait the ring, practice stacking . . . why do I always go into panic mode before a show?

It's Thoughtless Thursday, so I'm going to just stop thinking about the shows for the day. Instead, I'll hop around below and see what others are thinking (and not thinking) about today. (Thank you Ruckus the Eskie, M.K. Clinton and the pups over at Love is Being Owned by a Husky for hosting this hop.) I'll return to panic mode tomorrow. And as always, if you happen to be near the Volusia County Fairgrounds next weekend, come by and say hello. See you at the show! -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment